"Unique" Visitors:

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Return of the Blah

I am exhausted. My arms and back are sore...

It's been 8 days since my last update. I was aiming to match CherkyB's record of non-posting but instead I shatterd it. Why was I aiming to match the non-posting record? Well, it started with the Friday following my post when I realized that my body was still feeling the effect of that pint of Easy Street and I didn't feel like doing anything. I thought to myself that I'll wait for da funny blog update of the dedicated (well, not so-dedicated with recent trend) fat camper for further inspiration -- I waited and waited and then hectic life took over. Hence, this long absence did not make me a better story teller/writer so my bored readers may continue to be disappointed.

A few things did happen during this time...

The first involves the beginning of RyanC's stay at day care on May 9th. Our 17-month old kid had never been away from us until this point. Naturally it was really stressful for us as we dropped him off before wife headed to court. Oh yeah. What started this was a jury-duty summon that arrived for my 8-month wife. As obvious it seems, we were amazed with her luck as she got picked as final juror (7 out of 70 ppl that showed up) despite her pregnant state. (Who would want a potentially cranky house-wife deciding the fate of their case while a baby is kicking/flipping around inside her tummy as she listens to others yack?) In fact, not only did she get selected, she got a case that is projected to take 10 business days to finish -- not the nominal 1-3 day jury service. We thought it was so unlikely that we went out and bought a lottery ticket to see if the trend woud continue -- but her luck ended there.

Anyways, back to us scrambling to find a day-care and then dropping RyanC off on the morning of May 9th. We had planned on staying for up to half an hour to get him used to the new environment so we sat on the carpet with him watching a few kids playing with toys. I was looking at this little kid that had a dry-cough and wondered if RyanC will get sick from hanging out at daycare. That's when RyanC found this button-pushing toy interesting and walked towards it. He got so involved with that toy that he wouldn't have noticed us leaving if we hadn't pulled him to us to give him a goodbye hug. We were still concerned about how well he would adopt so we called in two hours to hear him doing "really well" according to the supervising adults. In fact, RyanC did so well that when we went to pick him up, he wanted to go back inside!!! Mommy had to take him to the day-care playground outside to keep him from fussing too much. He had a lot of fun playing with the sand and then dumped sand over his head with this little plastic shovel. That was a somewhat disappointing day when we realized this little brat didn't really care of us as much as we thought he might be.

The second event involves mini-crisis at work but that's normal so I don't really feel like writing too much about it despite it taking up most of my time recently.

The most recent even occurred today. I moved 4000-6000 lbs of grass rolls while helping a friend with yard work, which is something that I am terrible at. This is the most weight I have ever handled in one day! The trailer had 3 piles with each having 50 rolls weighing at ~40lbs each. Some of them must have weighed more than 60 lbs because they were wet and dense. Of course I didn't do all the work myself (friend's kids and neighbor's kids were helping) but that was still pretty amazing for me. I normally don't lift heavy stuff after my back got injured from bike-hiking in Moab 8 years ago... Yes, I used to be "active" in mountain-biking when I only stayed on the bike for downhill and hiked the bike when facing uphill. I refer to these trips as my "bike-hiking" trips since I don't really ride as much as others do. Anyhoo, I must have pushed the bike uphill in a bad way or something -- my back had never been the same since that trip. Surprisingly my back held up pretty well today while carrying these rolls so I only got sore back. Other than the scratches on my lower arms, my arms are super weak and I am not sure I can keep on typing in pain. I am going to stop for now...

3 Comments:

At Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 9:43:00 AM GMT-7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a wuss....

 
At Monday, May 15, 2006 at 5:25:00 PM GMT-7, Blogger CherkyB said...

What kind of backwater hicksville do you live in that would make someone put their kid in daycare in order to go to jury duty? You should consider moving. Santa Clara County, for instance, will let you skip jury duty if you're taking care of kids.

 
At Monday, May 15, 2006 at 7:36:00 PM GMT-7, Blogger CJ said...

I never quite figured out the jury duty part but my wife says it's probably because she didn't ask for postponing the jury duty in time.

I did figure out that I'm a wuss and I'm content at being a wuss -- so I generally avoid anything that may break my leg or something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home