"Unique" Visitors:

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Easy Street

I actually had an outspoken moment today.

We were sitting around eating pizza (NY-style thin crust) at our favorite pizza place, which has good pizza and is close to work (perfect combo). It was one of those normal days when I was enjoying my slices of four-cheese and white pizza, which aren't as greasy as the pepproni or other types that drowns in oil. A few people were talking about this SS coworker and how he was telling them about him being a navy seal and his encounter with this celebrity news person etc. So they asked one of the guys that knew SS from the old days whether he was really a Navy Seal... Before the guy had a chance to answer, I blurted out:
SS was a Navy Seal? But he is Canadian!
That was funny to some people. I still don't understand how a Canadian can become US Navy Seal. Oh well... must be my ignorance.

This afternoon some of us scheduled a happy-hour get-together with an ex-coworker that had left for our main competitor. It was a loss for our company since the guy was really nice and he's always professional despite owning a nearly impossible job. I enjoyed working with the guy so I invited myself to the list when I first heard about it, which was a month or two ago.

It took several reschedules to arrange this happy-hour. The most recent reschedule occurred on Tuesday, when the organizer sent out an email that morning saying he has an obligation to play golf on the evening that he had scheduled and asked if our new competitor can reschedule to Thursday. While there were some grumbling etc, everyone finally agreed this would work. I spent most of today waiting for another email to reschedule but it never came... so the happy-hour was really on!

It should be noted that happy-hour gatherings for coworkers is usually a time to vent and complain about on-going work so it's really like not-so-happy hour.. That is also one of the reasons why spouses usually don't like big gatherings with coworkers. "All you guys do is talk about work and complain" is the most often heard statement from spouses/significant others. Hence it was no surprise that there are no spouses or significant hours at today's happy-hour. I can picture someone explaining to me "it's called happy-hour because our spouses aren't present" but that guy is at some loosely attended fat camp so I can't confirm that's what he would really say -- fat camp biker will probably say something witty about this later.

Anyways, the nice thing about having happy-hour with a competitor is that we cannot talk about work -- especially since we are trained to protect our well-known secrets. Because of this mutual-understanding, this was the least whiney happy-hour I have been too! We were talking about everything but current work-work! At least that's what I seem to remember after downing a pint of Easy Street Wheat Beer and gobbling various wings, artichoke dips and nachos. I was told this wheat beer for those people that don't really like beer so I tried it. Unfortunately, a pint may have been too much since I can't remember if I really liked it or not. ARGH!

After two hours of easy happiness, I returned home to my happy family. Recently RyanC has not been running to me like he used to when I first get home. Instead he runs in opposite direction when he hears mommy informing him that daddy is home. See, we have been playing this game where I say "Where is my boy?" and he would giggle and laugh and wobble away from me as I hunt him down all over the house. It's really funny to watch him kick his legs in high gear and runs to hide. It started as one way to get him to exercise a little so he doesn't just eat all day. However, it has the unintended side-effect of seeing him happily running away from me most of the time - I might as well get ready for the future though.

Easy Street Wheat.. hmm...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home