"Unique" Visitors:

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Bugs & Fishing

They are not always related...

Found these green bees nesting on the side of our house:



Here are some unidentified bugs on our plum tree. The curled leaves probably indicate we have aphids too.


Took the family to go fishing this morning at Arapaho bend. Wife was the primary fisherman today since it was my turn to watch the baby and the toddler so she can enjoy fishing. Something ate her worms off the hook though.

I casted jighead with bubber for Ryan or Aidan to reel in. Ryan got bored with that pretty quickly. I then found him a stick of branch on the ground so he can poke the sand/rocks. That kept him busy in the shade for a while until he declared "I am tired of playing daddy!". Baby Aidan was fussy on baby bjourn so I took the kids away from wife's fishing spot.

Wife reported seeing muskrat or beaver on the pond. It was relatively small so it is more likely to be a muskrat. I missed it since I was playing with the kids.

I saw this dead fish yesterday. It looks like the fish that I almost caught. There are some fish remains like this along the edge of the lake. I had thought some fisherman left these non-legal size catches on the shore.



As we were packing to leave after a short and unsuccessful fishing trip, a ranger biked by and we chatted a little... That's when I found out that this winter's abundant snow cover killed quite a few fish (that might explain the really old fish skeletons). He also said that most have been miss than hit with fishing experience there. Arapaho experience is not too great with the kids/wife due to the walking distance from parking lot -- we need to get a wagon or something to transport the kids and the equipment.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At Monday, June 11, 2007 at 9:23:00 PM GMT-7, Blogger CherkyB said...

Looks a lot like a smallmouth. But then again, to me everything does.

 
At Tuesday, June 12, 2007 at 2:22:00 PM GMT-7, Blogger CherkyB said...

The bugs you got there are, I believe, larvae of the ladybug. Which would be great, since they eat aphids.

 
At Tuesday, June 12, 2007 at 11:04:00 PM GMT-7, Blogger CJ said...

thanks for the ID on the bugs! I read that ladybugs only live near large colonies of aphids so that also means we are in trouble too.

Too bad I don't have macro lens so I can't take pictures of larvae eating aphids.

 
At Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 10:28:00 AM GMT-7, Blogger CherkyB said...

Go to Home Depot and buy a bag of ladybugs. They'll clean up your aphids in a couple days.

 
At Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 9:57:00 PM GMT-7, Blogger CherkyB said...

Like, does anyone else read your blog?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home