"Unique" Visitors:

Friday, April 07, 2006

First DIY project

I finally got done with my first DIY project after months of idling! Yeah yeah I know it takes me years to do anything at home but at least I finally got it done. Special thanks to EDF for his expertise.

Since we bought our house, each year we have to drain the pipes for the sprinkler system so the pipes don't freeze in the cold winter. This means each fall we would blow out the sprinkler system (hire/borrow), shut off the water valves (easy) and then drain water (messy) in the basement.

Being as lazy and paranoid as I am, I became annoyed with this process:
1) pipe opening is at a difficult location to place a water bucket. (spill & hands get sore)
2) concern about over-screwing when closing. (each year it seems to require more loops)

So my housework consultant suggested that I place a ball valve and tube to allow easy drainage -- that was a few years ago. Last year I finally got around to buying the components but my awesome progress was stalled when realizing I had purchased 3/8" connectors when my pipe was really 1/2"! It took me some eye-balling in the Homedepot this week to finally find this male pipe to FIP hex bushing that converts 3/8" male to 1/2" male so I can complete this project.

Here is what I now have hooked up to the 1/2" pipe (all items purchased from Homedepot):
- male pipe to FIP hex bushing (converts 3/8" to 1/2")
- brass hex nipple 3/8"
- ball valve 3/8"
- I.D. Barb to MIP adapter (3/8" x 3/8")
- plastic tube to drain water

Of course I don't have water turned back on to test this but I'm sure it will work -- it's correct by design! If not, then it'll force me to finally find a plumber...

Now, I need to cut off the edge of a plastic pipe to prevent water heater drainage from flooding and then build a shelf for my home-theater components...

1 Comments:

At Friday, April 7, 2006 at 1:23:00 PM GMT-7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

someone couldn't find the plastic tube, despite it being right in front of their eyes... :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home